The Magners Cheltenham Gold Cup is the pinnacle of National Hunt racing – it is quite simply the race that every owner, trainer and jockey wants to win.
It is a Grade 1 race run on the New Course and is a huge stamina test with runners having to jump 22 fences during the 3m 2 1/2f trip. It is for 5 year olds +.
The Cheltenham Gold Cup has been won by some of the the finest race courses to ever grace turf. Names including Arkle, Best Mate and Kauto Star are among previous winners .
The most successful horse in Cheltenham Gold Cup history is Golden Miller who won the race five times from 1932 to 1936.
Type: Grade 1 Steeplechase Race
Distance: 3m 2 1/2f
Age: 5 year olds +
Weight: 11st 8lb (5 yo’s) 11st 10lb (6 yo +)
Allowances: 7lb for mares
Prize Fund: £625,000
- Nine different trainers have won in the last ten years, with Nicky Henderson winning in 2011 and 2012
- Eight-year-olds and nine-year-olds have each won the race four times in the last ten years
- Four favourites have won in ten years, winning prices of non-favourites range from 5/1 to 20/1
- Eight winners had won or been placed previously
- Eight winners won their preceding race
- All winners had won at Graded level
- Five winners had won at Cheltenham
- Seven winners had not previously won over the distance but nine had won at up to 3m