The Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys Handicap Hurdle is the final trace at the Cheltenham Festival and is open to horses aged 4 and above. It is run on the New Course and the runners must jump 9 hurdles.The race is restricted to conditional jockeys, with no jockey ever winning the race more than once.
The race, nsmed after the pioneering trainer who had 34 Festivsl winz, is always competitive and allows young jockeys to get a ride on the biggest stage of National Hunt Racing. Hopefully we’ll see more future championship winning jockeys riding this year.
5.30 The Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys Handicap Hurdle (RTV)
Type: Ungraded Hurdle Race
Distance: 2m 4 1/2f (4,124m)
Age: 4 year olds +
Prize Fund: £65,000
- The race has gone to Ireland five times in the past ten years, with Willie Mullins winning three times, and Gordon Elliott twice
- 5yo and 6yo have won it three times and six times respectively
- There has only been one winning favourite (9/2) in ten years, and the prices of other horses ranged from 7/1 to 25/1
- Five winners won their preceding race
- Six winners had won at the distance
- Eight winners had won a race that season
- Nine winners had had at least four races