The Close Brothers Mares Hurdle is a Grade 1 race. It is open to mares aged four years or older, and is run on the Old Course at. During the race the runners have nine hurdles to jump.
It is a relatively new race with the first running of it only taking place in 2008.
Quevega is the queen of this race having won six times, whilst Willie Mullins has also dominated winning nine of the 11 runnings, and trained the runner-up last year.
Type: Grade 1 Hurdle Race
Distance: 2m 4f
Age: 4 year olds + (Mares and Fillies Only)
Weight: 10st 10lb (4yo) 11st 5lb (5yo+)
Prize Fund: £120,000
2010-2019 Quick Read Stats
Tuesday 10 March
Cheltenham (Old Course) 4.10: Close Brothers Mares’ Hurdle (Registered As The David Nicholson Mares’ Hurdle) (Grade 1) 2m4f (ITV)
- Willie Mullins has won the race eight times in the past 10 years, with Quevega a five-times winner 2010-2014
- Gordon Elliott has also won in once taking the Irish trained tally to nine of the last 10 runnings
- Excepting Quevega who won her first Mares’ Hurdle aged six, there have been four 7yo winners and one aged 5
- Six winners were rated 150 to 158
- Quevega was favourite each time she won, returning an odds-on price four times
- There has been one other winning favourite since 2014 (4/6), whilst the non-favourite winners returned prices ranging from 7/2 to 10/1
- Apart from her first win, Quevega did not race in the same season preceding the Mares’ Hurdle
- The five winners since 2014 have each had an outing and four of them had won at least one race
- All winners had previously won over the distance
- None of the last five winners had previously won at Cheltenham
- Four of the last five winners had won at Grade 1 or 2 level
- Four of the last five winners had a 50% or better strike rate over hurdles
- Three of the last five winners won their preceding race, the other two were placed