The Ultima Handicap Chase is a grade 3 National Hunt chase, run on the Old Course withrunners having to jump a total of 19 fences. It always hard to pick a winner in this race, with many of winners being double figure prices.
The winners of the Festival Handicap Chase often go on to run in the Grand National, with a few horses winning both races. Jonjo O’Neill has a great record in this race in recent years, in the 8 runnings since 2009 he has won 3 of them.
When betting on this race it is important to look for a horse who is proven over this trip, as stamina can often let horses down in this race.
Type: Grade 3 Handicap Steeplechase Race
Distance: 3m 1/2f
Age: 5 year olds +
Prize Fund: £110,000
- Jonjo O’Neill has won this three times in the past ten years, and David Pipe onece
- Five 8yo and two 7yo have won the last ten runnings
- There has not been a winner aged 11 or more
- Two 5/1 favourites have won in the past ten years, remaining winners had SPs ranging from 5/1 to 33/1
- Nine winners had previously run at the Festival
- Four winners won last time out, and three more had won a race in the same season
- Eight winners had won over the distance one C&D, four more had won at Cheltenham
- Eight winners had run four or five races in the season
- Five winners were first season chases, three in the last four years