The St James’s Pace Foxhunter Chase is for amateur riders on horses aged 5 years or older. The race is run on the New Course and the runners must jump twenty two fences.
The race is run over the same course and distance as the Cheltenham Gold Cup, and it is often referred to as the ‘Amateur Gold Cup’.
In order to qualify for the race horses must have finished 1st or 2nd twice in hunter chases, or have won two open point-to-point races, or have won one open point-to-point race and finished 1st or 2nd in a hunter chase.
Type: Ungraded Hunter Chase
Distance: 3m 2 1/2f
Age: 5 year olds +
Weight: 11st 12lb (5 yo’s) 12st 0lb (6 yo +)
Allowances: 7lb for mares
Prize Fund: £45,000
- The race has gone to Irish trainers six times, with Enda Bolger and R Sweeny twice a winner
- Paul Nicholls has won the last two runnings
- Horses agad 7 to 11 have won the race in the past ten years, with 10yo picking it up three times
- Three favourites have won in ten years, winning prices of non-favourites range from 11/2 to 33/1
- Four winners had previously raced at the Fesitval
- All ten winners had won a race
- Six winners won their preceding race, three more were placed
- Four winners had won over course and distance, but none of the others had won at the distance or at Cheltenham
- Seven winners had won at least two races. five of them in that season