Best of the Flat 2018: world thoroughbred rankings for horses and races
With an equal rating of 130, the Australian mare Winx and Britain’s Cracksman have been named the 2018 Longines World’s Best Racehorses by the International Federation of Horseracing Authorities (IFHA). Accelerate, from America, was ranked third. The Qatar Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe was the best race.
Winx has been in the Top 10 of the rankings since 2015 and has been the highest rated filly/mare in the world since 2016. In 2018, she claimed overall top honours during a season that culminated in her becoming the only horse in history to win the Ladbrokes Cox Plate four times.
As co-winner, Cracksman impressed with his trademark victory coming in the QIPCO Champion Stakes on British Champions Day at Ascot. The British runner was campaigned by the same connections as Golden Horn, the 2015 highest rated turf horse.
Cracksman’s jockey in 2018 was Frankie Dettori, who was named Longines World’s Best Jockey in 2018, which he also won in 2015.
Accelerate, with a rating of 128, was honoured as the third-highest rated horse in the world, cemented by his victory in the Breeder’s Cup Classic at Churchill Downs.
The classifications are established by international handicappers according to the performance of the horses in top international races.
The Longines World’s Best Race award recognises the best-rated race of the highest-rated Group 1 international races with the top four finishers in each race serving as basis for the assessment.
The first four finishers in the year’s best race, the Qatar Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe were Enable, Sea Of Class, Cloth Of Stars, and Waldgeist.
The Arc also won the award in 2017.
The remaining top 10 rated races were:
- The Queen Elizabeth Stakes (123.75)
- Prince of Wales’s Stakes (123.25)
- Juddmonte International Stakes (123.00)
- Dubai Sheema Classic (123.00)
- Breeders’ Cup Classic (122.75)
- Japan Cup (122.50)
- Ladbrokes Cox Plate (122.50)
- The Agency George Ryder Stakes (122.25)
- Colgate Optic White Stakes (122.25)
- Prix Ganay – Prix de l’Inauguration de ParisLongchamp (122.25)
The top rated races in the 5 respective distance categories were:
- Darley T J Smith Stakes (121.00-Sprint)
- Jointly The Agency George Ryder Stakes (122.25-Mile) and Colgate Optic White Stakes (122.25-Mile)
- Queen Elizabeth Stakes (123.75-Intermediate)
- Qatar Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe (125.00-Long)
- Jointly the Gold Cup (118.00-Extended) and Tenno Sho (Spring) (118.00-Extended).
The highest rated race for fillies and mares was the Coolmore Fastnet Rock Matron Stakes (118.75), whilst the top 3-year-old race in the world was the Investec Derby (121.75)