Irish Fixtures 2022 – much to look forward to
1,872 – a number for all racing fans and journalists to remember for 2022 after both the BHA and Horse Racing Ireland announced the fixtures for next year; 1,482 in Britain and 390 in Ireland.
The Irish calendar sees 346 turf fixtures and 44 on the all-weather, both numbers up on this year’s with some big dates.
The number of mixed meetings (flat and national hunt) has been reduced from 17 to 11. But that does mean all seven days of the Galway festival, the Wednesday Thursday and Friday of the Listowel festival and Super Sunday at Tipperary on 2 October will all be mixed.
The flat season begins at The Curragh on Saturday 26 March and the opening weekend continues the following day at Naas, giving the season a higher profile launch.
The Curragh will also host a three-day Guineas festival and an additional fixture on Friday 20 May.
A significant change to the National Hunt calendar sees the Munster National at Limerick being moved back two weeks to Sunday 23 October, sitting ideally between the Kerry National at Listowel on Wednesday 21 September and the Toytown Handicap Chase at Navan on Sunday 27 November.
The dates for the major festivals were also announced:
- Dublin Racing Festival – 5-6 February
- Cork Easter Festival – 16-18 April
- Fairyhouse Easter Festival – 16-18 April
- Punchestown Festival – 26-30 April
- Killarney Spring Festival – 15-17 May
- Down Royal Ulster Derby- 17-18 June
- Curragh Irish Derby – 24-26 June
- Bellewstown Summer Festival – 30 June-2 July
- Killarney July Festival July – 11-15
- Curragh Irish Oaks – 16-17 July
- Tramore August Festival- 11-14 August
- Killarney August Festival 18-20 August
- Irish Champions Weekend – 10-11 September
- Listowel Harvest Festival – 18-24 September
- Down Royal National Hunt Festival – 4-5 November 4th & 5th
- Punchestown Winter Festival – 19-20 November
- Fairyhouse Premier Jump Festival – 3-4 December
- Leopardstown Christmas Festival- 26-29 December
- Limerick Christmas Festival – 26-29 December
So,as you can see, there is lots to look forward to in 2022 with some exciting racing in prospect.