The JLT Novices Chase, a Grade One contest, is the first race of the third day of the Cheltenham Festival. Horses aged five or older can enter, which is for novice chasers. It is run on the New Course and runners have to jump 17 fences.
The race was first run in 2011 and upgraded to become a Grade One race in 2014 and is officially called the Golden Miller Novices’ Chase, although it has always been run under a sponsored title.
1.30 Marsh Novices Chase (ITV/RTV)
Type: Grade 1 Steeplechase Race
Age: 5 year olds +
Weight: 11st 3lb (5yo) 11st 4lb (6yo+)
Allowances: 7lb for fillies & mares.
Prize Fund: £150,000
2011-2019 Quick Read Stats
Thursday 12 Marrch
Cheltenham (New Course) 1.30: Marsh Novices’ Chase (Grade 1) (Registered As The Golden Mil 2m4ler) (Class 1) (5yo+) 2m4f (ITV)
- Willie Mullins has won four of the nine runnings of this race and, with two wins for Gordon Elliott, the race has gone to Irish trainers seven times
- 7yo winners: 6
- 6yo: 3
- Five winners were rated 144 to 148
- Won by three outright favourites and one co-favourite, with three more second favourites winning
- There has been one double-digit winner, at 20/1, but otherwise the longest-priced winner was 7/1
- Eight winners had won over the distance
- Eight winners had won two or more races
- Seven winners had won their previous race, three their last two races
- Seven winners had won over the distance
- Seven winners had a 50% or better strike rate over fences
- Six winners had previously won at Grade 1 level
- Five winners had won a race at Cheltenham