The Dawn Run Mares Novices Hurdle is a Grade 2 race which can only be entered by fillies and mares aged 4 years old and up. The race is run on Cheltenham’s New Course and the runners must jump eight hurdles. The race can only be entered by novice hurdlers and should give us a look at the best of the novice hurdling mares each year.
The Mares Novices Hurdle was new for the 2016 Cheltenham Festival, expanding the famous meeting to 28 races over the four days.
The race is named after Dawn Run, the most successful mare in National Hunt racing history. She won both the Champion Hurdle and Cheltenham Gold Cup in her career.
Type: Grade 2 Hurdle Race
Distance: 2m 179y
Age: 4 year olds +
Weight: 10st 9lb (4yo) 11st 2lb (5yo+)
Prize Fund: £90,000
2016-2019 Quick Read Stats
Thursday 12 March
Cheltenham (New Course) 4.50: Daylesford Mares’ Novices’ Hurdle (Grade 2) (Class 1) (4yo+) 2m1f
- Willie Mullins has won all four runnings of this race
- The first four runnings of the race have been won by five-year-olds
- The first three winners were rated 144, 145 and 147 – last years winners had not received a rating
- The first three runnings were won by the favourite (two odd-on), but last years race went to a 50/1 shot
- Each winner had previously won a race
- Three winners had run in two races, the other had raced four times
- Three winners had won at either Grade 2 or 3 level