The National Hunt Chase Challenge Cup is a Grade 2 National Hunt chase. The race is for amateur riders and novice chasers. Horses must be aged 5 years or older. It’s run on the Old Course at Cheltenham and runners have to jump twenty-four fences. From this year, it is the closing race fn the first day.
The race is for the real stayers among the novice chasers. This means horses younger than seven years of age tend not to do well as they still don’t have the traits to stay as well as the older horses. However, there has been a recent exception with Minella Rocco winning the National Hunt Chase in 2016.
This means that when looking to select a winner of this race, we would advise you to look for the older horses in the race. Jonjo O’Neill has a very good record in this race with 6 winners.
Type: Grade 2 Steeple Chase Race
Age: 5 year olds +
Weight: 11st 4lb (5yo) 11st 6lb (6yo+)
Allowances: 7lb for mares
Prize Fund: £125,000
- Nicky Henderson and Willie Mullins have each won this four times in the last ten years, Nicky Henderson the last twice with Buveur D’Air
- 6yo and 7yo have each won four times in the last ten years
- Five favourites have won in the last ten years
- Nine winners had won a Grade 1 event
- Seven winners won their previous race
- All winners had won over distance (two C&D)
- Six winners had already run between nine and 12 times