The Close Brothers Novices Handicap Chase is a Listed National Hunt chase which horses of the age of 5 or older can enter. It is run on the Old Course and runners have to jump 16 fences. It is a race for novice chasers with a handicap rating between 0 and 140.
The race was established when a fourth day was added to the Cheltenham Festival in 2005 and is now the penultimate event.
4.50 Novices Handicap Chase (RTV)
Type: Listed Handicap Steeple Chase
Distance: 2m 4 1/2f
Age: 5 year olds +
Prize Fund: £70,000
- This race has been won by ten different trainers in the past ten years
- 6yo have won four times, 7yo three times
- Only one favourite (13/2) has won in ten years
- Six winners won their previous race
- Five winners had won over the distance
- Seven winners had run three or four times in the same season