Jan-Apr 2021 fixtures confirmed
BHA publishes confirmed fixtures for January to April 2021, plus full-year Pattern dates and draft list for July to December
British racing’s fixture list for January to April has been published by the BHA, and has been developed tp maximise revenue for the sport and participants, while safeguarding participant wellbeing and taking account of the horse population,
At present, due to the absence of spectators from racecourses, revenue streams through media rights and betting levy are essential for the ongoing viability of the sport and the livelihoods it supports.
As well as the full fixture list for January to April, dates for the meetings involving Pattern races during the final eight months of the 2021 have also been confirmed.
Provisional dates for racecourse fixtures during the period from May to December have also been published, albeit these dates will be confirmed in due course subject to further information being available in relation to the return of spectators, the size of the horse population and the level of finance available for the fixture list from all sources.
At this stage, no fixtures in the ownership of the BHA have been announced for the period from May to December, and a decision about the appropriate number and scheduling of these fixtures will take place in due course once there is greater clarity in relation to the aforementioned factors.
In 2020 there were 233 BHA Fixtures originally scheduled across the full year.
The total number of fixtures for the period from January to April are summarised below:
- Jump Fixtures – 2020: 243, 2021: 246
- Flat Fixtures – 2020: 208, 2021: 202
- Total – 2020: 451, 2021:448
The fixture list in this period has been designed with a view to supporting betting revenues and, where possible, reducing the costs associated with staging fixtures. As such, a number of changes have been agreed with a view to creating a more efficient proposition for the period. These include:
- While the total number of Flat fixtures has reduced, the number of Flat races will remain unchanged. This is due to a reduction in the total number of All-Weather fixtures during the period but extending the length of cards at floodlit fixtures to include up to nine races so that the total race numbers remain similar.
- With Covid-protocols continuing, the temporary rule which permits jockeys to ride at only one fixture per day will be extended into 2021.
- The extended floodlit cards will include seven programmed races and up to two divisions, with the use of divisions ensuring that the fixture list and race programme can respond appropriately to the actual level of demand from the horse population at that time of year.
- Race times will be set with the aim of providing continuous product for the betting industry until a last race time of no later than 8:30pm, other than on Sundays when racing would conclude by no later than 6:00pm.
- Where possible without having a negative impact on terrestrial TV coverage, reducing the number of fixtures on Saturday afternoons in January and February from four to three, recognising that the fourth fixture on Saturday afternoons can contribute more to betting revenues if staged at a different time of the week.
- Reducing the number of fixtures from six to four on New Year’s Day by moving meetings to alternative dates when they would generate additional returns from betting. A decision will be taken on the number of fixtures to be staged at Easter nearer the time, once more is known about the return of spectators to racecourses.
2021 major meetings
- 01/01/2021 Cheltenham – New Year Meeting
- 23/01/2021 Ascot – Matchbook Clarence House Chase Raceday
- 30/01/2021 Cheltenham – Trials Meeting
- 13/02/2021 Newbury – Betfair Super Saturday
- 20/02/2021 Ascot – Betfair Ascot Chase Raceday
- 27/02/2021 Kempton – Kempton Park Chase
- 13/03/2021 Sandown – Matchbook Imperial Cup
- 16/03/2021 to 19/03/2021 Cheltenham – Cheltenham Festival
- 27/03/2021 Doncaster- The Lincoln
- 08/04/2021 to 02/042021 Aintree – Randox Health Grand National Meeting
- 02/04/2021 Lingfield – AW Championship Finals Day
- 17/04/2021 Ayr – Scottish National
- 24/04/2021 Sandown – bet365 Gold Cup
- 01/05/2021 to 02/05/2021 Newmarket – QIPCO 2,000 Guineas
- 05/05/2021 to 07/05/2020 Chester – May Festival
- 08/05/2021 Ascot – Victoria Cup
- 12/05/2021 to 15/05/2021 York – Dante Festival
- 15/05/2021 Newbury – Al Shaqab Lockinge Day
- 04/06/2021 to 05/06/2021 Epsom – Investec Derby Festival
- 15/06/2021 t 19/06/2021 Royal Ascot – Royal Ascot
- 26/06/2021 Newcastle – Northumberland Plate
- 03/07/2021 Sandown – Coral-Eclipse
- 08/07/2021 to 10/07/2021 Newmarket – July Festival
- 10/07/2021 York – John Smith’s Cup
- 24/07/2021 Ascot – QIPCO King George Meeting
- 27/07/2021 to 31/07/2020 Goodwood – Glorious Goodwood
- 18/08/2021 to 21/08/2021 York – Welcome to Yorkshire Ebor Festival
- 04/09/2021 Haydock – Sprint Cup
- 08/09/2021 to 11/09/2020 Doncaster – William Hill St Leger Meeting
- 18/09/2021 Ayr – Ayr Gold Cup
- 23/09/2021 to 26/08/2021 Newmarket – Cambridgeshire Meeting
- 08/10/2021 to 09/10/2021 Newmarket – Dubai Future Champions Festival
- 16/10/2021 Ascot – QIPCO British Champions Day
- 23/10/2021 Doncaster – Vertem Futurity Trophy
- 06/11/2021 Doncaster – November Handicap
- 12/11/2021 to 14/11/2020 Cheltenham – November Meeting
- 20/11/2021 Haydock – Betfair Chase
- 27/11/2021 Newbury – Ladbrokes Trophy Day
- 27/11/2021 Newcastle – Fighting Fifth Hurdle
- 04/12/2021 Sandown – Betfair Tingle Creek Chase
- 04/12/2021 Aintree – Becher Chase
- 10/12/2021 to 11/12/2020 Cheltenham – International Meeting
- 18/12/2021 Ascot – Christmas Racing Weekend
- 26/12/2021 Kempton – King George VI Chase
- 27/12/2021 Chepstow – Coral Welsh Grand National
♦ The full fixture list can be found here http://media.britishhorseracing.com/bha/covid19/2021_Fixture_List.pdf